25 January 1832 - 31 March 1920
Charles Monk, son of William Monk and Sarah Bear, was born 25 Jan. 1832, at Long Parish [Longparish], Hampshire, England. He, being the only son in the family, received a good education. He could speak French fluently and could understand Latin. As a young man, he was employed in the Royal household of England during the time of Queen Victoria. Because his uncle was a physician in the Queen's household, he learned and understood the use of medicine and the care of the sick and injured. In the early days when doctors were few, he did a great deal in caring for the sick and the injured. For many years he was Registrar of Vital Statistics concerning births and deaths.
He and Emma Leywood, a young woman who was also employed in the Royal household, would take evening strolls and heard the Mormon Elders holding street meetings. They stopped to listen and came again to hear what the elders had to say. They were convinced of the truthfulness of the gospel and on 31 July, 1853, Charles Monk was baptized into the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints by Elder Thomas J. Bryson at 7 Wherwell, Hants., England in the Andover Branch of the Redding [Reading] Conference. He was ordained an elder 10 Jan, 1854 by Elder William G. Mills and was married to Emma Leywood 12 Feb., 1854 by Elder William G. Mills at Newberry [Newbury], Berkshire, England.
They embarked on the ship Marshfield, Saturday, 8 April, 1854 and sailed from Liverpool, England, with 366 saints under the direction of William Taylor. They arrived at New Orleans, Louisiana, 29 May, 1854, having been nearly eight weeks on the ocean. While waiting for the company to start across the plains, cholera invaded the camps of the saints and many of them died. [Charles' wife,] Emma Leywood Monk, was taken very sick with cholera and had not the power of the priesthood been made manifest by rebuking that disease from her, she too may have shared the fate of many others. This was the testimony of Charles Monk concerning the healing of his wife, Emma. Charles Monk seemed to be blessed to a great degree with the spirit of healing and faith in the power of the priesthood. He was called upon many many times to administer to the sick and afflicted and gave encouragement to them.
They started across the plains from Near West Port 24 July 1854, in William A. Empey's company of 43 wagons. They endured the many hardships of crossing the plains. While around the campfire at nights they would sing songs of Zion, especially that beautiful hymn, "Come, Come, Ye Saints, No Toil nor Labor Fear, But with Joy Wend Your Way." Onward they journeyed across the desolate plains arriving at Salt Lake City 24 Oct., 1854. Here they made their first home, and endured the many hardships of early pioneer life in Utah. Charles Monk made his own furniture which consisted of two chairs a box for a table and a bedstead. They had no stove but did their cooking over an open fireplace, much unlike their old England home where they had been raised in luxury while they were employed in the Royal family for many years. Still they struggled on, true to the faith that had led them there.
Charles Monk acted as a ward teacher in the Eleventh Ward of Salt Lake City under Bishop Lytle, Bishop Hardy and Bishop McCrea. He was ordained a Seventy on 14 Feb., 1857, by William McBride and assigned to the 26th quorum of Seventies.
As false reports had been sent to the President of the United States at Washington, D. C. regarding the saints, the President had ordered troops to be sent to Utah. The Saints having been mobbed and driven from place to place were fearful of what the soldiers might do if allowed to enter the valley. Governor Brigham Young therefore declared the territory of Utah under martial law and forbade troops (Johnson's Army) to enter the Great Salt Lake Valley. Charles Monk was sent out by Governor Brigham Young 15 Sept. 1857 with an armed militia to Echo Canyon in Major Sharp's Battalion to keep the soldiers from entering Salt Lake Valley. He returned home in Dec. of that same year.
In the general move south in 1858, Charles and his little family moved to Alpine Utah. However, they returned to Salt Lake City in Dec. 1958. He was appointed school trustee by the citizens of the Eleventh District of Salt Lake City, 29 May, 1860, which position he held for four years. He was chosen by President Brigham Young as one of the pioneers to help settle the township of Spanish Fork; he accepted the call in Dec. 1864 and moved there with his family. He was then appointed school trustee of Spanish Fork. In April 1866, Charles Monk was appointed Ward Clerk of Spanish Fork and served as such until Dec. 1889 for period of 23 years.
One evening in Dec. 1866, Thomas C. Martell accompanied by Charles Monk called at the home of George W. Wilkins (who was the bishop at that time) and they introduced the subject of cooperation and in January 1867, the Co-op Store was organized with Charles Monk as Secretary. This was the beginning of the Spanish Fork Co-op Store which mercantile institution still exists. In Nov, 1869, he was appointed auditor of Spanish Fork.
He was chosen Superintendent of the Sunday School 1 April 1866. He was appointed alderman of Spanish Fork by the Governor of Utah 18 Mar., 1875, which position he held for twelve years. In addition to this, he was Justice of the Peace for a number of years. He was appointed Notary Public in and for the County of Utah by Governor George W. Emery 11 June, 1878.
Charles Monk one of the first to have bees [in Spanish Fork]. He went back east for them and many a barrel of honey was sold to sheep men of Willard County who brought their wool to Provo to sell to others.
He married Sarah Barrett 13 July 1877 in the St. George Temple and to them were born six children. For this marriage he served in the state penitentiary 14 April 1888 to 25 July 1888, three months and ten days, but he served cheerfully, having a conscience void of offense God, as he was married in polygamy according to the teachings and doctrine of the L.D.S. Church. Due to the signing of the Manifesto, plural marriages were discontinued.
He went on a mission to England in 1879 but was released to return home in the fall of the same year on account of ill health. On 9 Nov. 1879 he was appointed to assist George Brimhall in the superintendency of the Spanish Fork Sunday School. He was set apart by Abraham H. Cannon as senior president of the Nineteenth Quorum of Seventies continuing in that position until 1 June, 1889, when he was ordained a high priest and high counselor in the Utah Stake of Zion by Apostle Franklin D. Richards. He was also a member of the city council of Spanish Fork for a number of years, He wrote the ordinance setting apart the present site for the cemetery of Spanish Fork. It was presented to the city council and unanimously accepted. He also served as secretary of the West Field Irrigation Company for many years, receiving Resolutions of Respect from them on retiring from that office. He was also Captain of the Guards during the trouble with the indians, known as the Black Hawk Indian War. All of these offices, both civic and religious, he filled with honor to himself and the communities in which he lived.
Charles Monk was noted for his gentlemanly appearance; he spoke good English and was a wonderful theologian and known for his integrity of character. He was a good doctor. His height was 5' 7 1/2" and his weight was 145 lbs. His complexion was dark, and his hair was black (now gray). He lived a clean, faithful, true, and upright life and endured to the end, which means eternal life in the mansions of our Father, for the race is not to the swift, but to those who endure to the end.
He died 31 March, 1920 at the age of 88 years, 2 months, and 6 days leaving his wife Emma Leywood and the following children by this marriage; Charles A. Monk, William T. Monk, Newell W. Monk, Emma E. Adams and Mary J. Hanson, He was also survived by his second wife, Sarah B. Monk and the following children by this marriage: Sarah P. Lundberg, E. Amelia Pickett, George W. Monk, Sophia Boshard and Fern Linegar.
He was President of the High Priests Quorum at the time of his death, having been set apart to this position by Jonathan S. Page, Sr., 6 Sept., 1909, and continuing as such until the time of his death.
The following article appeared in the Deseret Newspaper concerning his death:
"March 31, 1920 Charles Monk, 88 years of age, pioneer and well known resident of Spanish Fork, died at his home today of stomach troubles. Mr. Monk was born in Long Parish [Longparish], Hampshire England in 1832. He married Emma Leywood at Newberry [Newbury], Berkshire, England in 1854, soon after which they came to America. They made their home first in Salt Lake City, moving to Spanish Fork in 1864. Mr. Monk has filled many offices of trust, both in civic and religious circles. He served several terms as Justice of the Peace, as City Councilman, and Alderman, also School Trustee. In the Church, he was first assistant Superintendent of Sunday School for more than thirty years. He was one of the Presidents of his Quorum of Seventy, a High Priest Councilor and at the time of his death was President of the High Priests Quorum. He was known as a just man in his dealings, a kind neighbor and friend. He is survived by his wife Mrs. Emma Monk, age 93 years, the oldest resident of Spanish Fork, and the following children: Charles Andrew Monk, William Thomas Monk, Newell Wells Monk, Mrs. Nephi Hanson, Mrs. George M. Adams, Mrs. Leo Pickett, Mrs. Reed Boshard, Mrs. Fern Lyngare [Linegar], Mrs. C. B. Lundberg, and George Monk. He is survived by 57 grandchildren and 15 great-grandchildren.
"Funeral services were held at the Fourth Ward Church for Charles Monk, pioneer merchant Bishop William Grotegut officiated. Opening song was by the choir, Samuel Moore of Payson offered the invocation, The choir sang "Rest for the Weary Soul." John Hayes was the first speaker. Edward Williams sang a solo. The second speaker was Henry Gardner, Sr. The Williams sisters sang "Some Sweet Day." John Devey of Lehi was the third speaker, William D. Holt sang Bishop Grotegut made the closing remarks. The choir sang in closing, "Oh My Father." The benediction was pronounced by Patriarch Wm. Jex.
"There were many beautiful floral tributes, among these was a design from the Spanish Fork Co-op with the inscription that Mr. Monk was the first secretary of that institution in 1867, and he also drew up the articles of incorporation for the Co-op which has one of the first institutions of the kind in the state. Interment was in the City cemetery."
Children born to Charles Monk and Emma Leywood:
|Charles Andrew Monk||born 10 March 1855||md. Sarah Ann Jones|
|William Thomas Monk||born 16 March 1858||md. Fannie Adams|
|Newell Wells Monk||born 27 Nov. 1860||md. Lizzie Ann Gull|
|Sarah Ann Monk||born 28 Feb. 1863||died 8 Oct. 1863||age 7 1/2 months|
|Emma E. Monk||born 24 June 1866||md. George Adams|
|Mary Jane Monk||born 2 June 1870||md. Nephi Hanson|
Children born to Charles Monk and Sarah Barrett
|Sarah Phoebe Monk||born 25 May 1878||md. Alfred Lundberg|
|Elizabeth Amelia Monk||born28 Aug. 1880||md. Leo Pickett|
|George William Monk||born 1 July 1882||md. Louise Porter|
|Sophia Monk||born 26 April 1884||md. Reed Rudolph Boshard|
|Matilda Monk||born 6 March 1886||died 20 Aug 1887|
|Fern Monk||born 1888||md. Mr. Lyngare (Linegar)
(or Willard Maughan)
SOME MEMORIES OF MY GRANDFATHER MONK. by E. Louise M. Sorensen
Grandfather Monk had a one-seated buggy with a black top and a horse "Old Kit," he called her. Some of you remember the old-fashioned buggy. He used to assist old Dr. Warner and drive around Spanish Fork in what now would be called Health Inspector. He could put up quarantine signs and secured the necessary supplies for those under quarantine.
Grandfather Monk had a large old hay barn that stood next to the main highway through Spanish Fork. Upon this, the Barnum and Ringling Brothers Circus would paste their advertisements of the circus at Provo. They would give grandfather passes to their circus and he would take us (his grandchildren) to the circus. I can remember the grand street parades the circus used to have and the many times we went to see the circus.
I remember a huge locust tree that grew on the north side of grandfather's lot. In the summer, the tree grew pods about eight inches long with seeds about the size of a bean. There was also an "orange" tree just west of the barn. The tree grew fruit the size of an orange but green in color, the fruit not being useful, but we grandchildren would gather the pods from the locust tree the the green oranges and use them to decorate our play houses, I remember the old log granary which stood out in the lot; grandfather had a few chickens and while he was in the granary getting the feed for them they would run around and around the building until grandfather came out with the feed.
Grandfather had some hives of bees. I remember one time when we grandchildren were small we poked a stick in the holes of the hive to watch the bees come out and of course we received some stings which gave us a lot of discomfort. I have watched grandfather extract the honey he took from the hives.
These are memories we grandchildren can recall as our house was built on the south half of grandfather's lot.